Sunshine4Sumner Appeal Event
On Sunday December 11th, 10am-2pm at the Northumberland Club, Northumbria Squash will be running a team event to raise money for the Sunshine4Sumner appeal. Similar events will be running country wide on this weekend. See below what the raising of the money is for.
Sumner Malik, one of a triplet and one of the brightest and bubbliest young squash players alive, has been diagnosed with a Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG). DIPG is a terminal, paediatric form of brain tumour.
There are only 40 cases of DIPG diagnosed a year in the UK but every one of those is a tragedy with no confirmed cure and a non-existent survival rate.
There is hope out there though with lots of doctors and hospitals around the world carrying out pioneering research into ways of treating this disease, with a few offering cutting edge treatments on compassionate grounds. These treatments though are unfortunately very expensive and every bit of help is needed to meet the costs.
I’m sure you all agree it is a very worthwhile cause.
The event will run as follows:
- Teams of 3 players each paying £10 to enter, paid on the day (ALL money going to fund)
- All standards and ages welcome adults and juniors
- Can enter as a team or as an individual (will be added to a team with other entrants)
- Exact format will be decided by number of entrants but hope to give as a many games as possible over time
- All entries to Dave Barnett by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or 07917063133
- Closing date for entries Thursday 8th December
We would also like to run a raffle on the day if anyone has any prizes they could donate for the occasion please get in touch.
I hope you can make it along on the 11th but if not you can still give to fund by following this link
or to buy a t-shirt designed by Sumner himself (all profits to fund) follow this link
Please spread the word and make this as big an event as possible.